If you are in the UAE
If you are in the UAE when you lost your passport, you have to reapply for a new passport (at your embassy in the UAE) and have your residence visa re-stamped on your new passport.
However, first report the loss or theft of the passport to the police station nearest to where the incident took place. At the police station, fill a ‘lost passport report’ form and submit:
- two recent passport size photographs
- a copy of the lost passport (if any).
- If the lost passport belongs to a minor, the sponsoring parent should be present to endorse the report.
- If the person who lost the passport is on company sponsorship, he should submit a letter in Arabic about the loss of the passport. The letter should be on the sponsoring company’s letterhead and should be submitted to the police department of the emirate where the residence visa was issued. The sponsoring company should also provide a photocopy of the company’s trade licence and establishment card.
- If the person who lost the passport is on family sponsorship, he needs to submit a signed letter from the sponsor and a photocopy of the sponsor’s passport.
Procedure in case of lost passport in Dubai
In Dubai, the procedure for lost passports is linked with General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs and Dubai Courts.
- Upon receiving the police report, get it stamped by the relevant UAE court, Public Prosecution and General Directorate of Residency & Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) in the emirate where the visa was issued.
- After these endorsements, you can return the police report to the station from where you received it and they will issue you a formal ‘lost passport certificate’ in Arabic.
- Based on the formal ‘lost passport certificate’, a person can apply for a new passport at his embassy/consulate in the UAE. Check with your embassy for the requirements.
- When your passport is issued, you have to go back to the GDRFA to stamp your residence visa. Check with the relevant GDRFA about application and fees.
- GDRFA will issue a residence visa with the same validity period as of the old visa if still valid, or it will issue a new residence permit if the visa expired while you were inside the UAE.
If you are outside the UAE
If you are in your home country and lost your passport, you will need to follow the steps required by your country to get a new passport issued.
If you are in a visiting country, check with your country’s embassy/consulate in that country on the requirements for reporting a lost passport and issuance of a new passport.
According to the information listed on the website of the UAE’s Embassy in London, those who hold a UAE residence visa and have their passports lost/stolen are required to apply for a new entry permit to be able to re-enter the UAE.
The requests for entry permits are received and processed by the consular section of the UAE embassy in the country where the passport is lost.
The following documents are needed for the re-issue of a residence visa:
- a completed and signed application form
- a copy of the old passport
- a copy of the new passport
- a copy of UAE resident permit
- a copy of Emirates ID card
- 1 passport-sized photo
- application fees
- a letter from the sponsor confirming your position and place of work
- Lost/stolen report.
Check with the respective UAE embassy in the country where you lost your passport which has your UAE residence visa on it.
Updated on 06 Feb 2019