List of holidays
On 5 March 2019, the UAE Cabinet announced official holidays for the public and private sectors for the years 2019 and 2020. The Cabinet granted equal leaves (14 days) to both sectors. This decision aims to achieve a balance between the two sectors in the number of official holidays they are entitled to.
Here is a list of public holidays for the years 2019 and 2020 applicable to both public and private sectors.
- Gregorian New Year: 1 January
- Eid Al Fitr: From last day of the Islamic month of Ramadan to 3 Shawwal* (4 days)
- Arafah day and Eid Al Adha (Feast of Sacrifice): From 9 to 12 Dhu al Hijjah* (4 days)
- Hijri New Year: 1 Muharram* in 2019 and on 23 August in 2020
- Commemoration Day: 1 December (previously it was observed on 30 November)
- National Day: 2 and 3 December (2 days).
*Note: Islamic holidays are determined according to moon sighting.