Who must cancel your residence visa
Normally, only the sponsor can cancel your residence visa. You cannot process the application on your own.
If a company decides to cancel an employment visa of its employee, it must first approach Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation with an application to cancel the employee’s labour contract and labour card. The employee must also sign this application. Then, the employer should apply to General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) for visa cancellation.
The company must also cancel the work permit. For this, it must submit a letter signed by the employee stating that he has already received all his wages and end of services benefits to Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation.
An individual sponsoring his/her spouse, children and other dependents must cancel the dependents’ visas first before he cancels his/her own.
Cancellation must be processed through the GDRFA that stamped the residence visa in the first place.
How to cancel your residence visa
There are two ways to cancel your visa. You can do it either through a registered typing centre or online.
- Registered typing centre
The sponsor may visit any typing office registered by GDRFA in the respective emirate. The typing centre will fill the cancellation form on your behalf and process it online through the respective GDRFA.
Alternatively, the sponsor may process the cancellation online through the respective GDRFA or through the platforms of Ministry of Interior.
The following documents are required for cancelling residence visa through GDRFA:
- cancellation form signed by the sponsor
- if the sponsor is a company or a firm, the cancellation form must be signed and sealed by the company stamp and a clearance certificate from Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation must be attached
- the original passport of the sponsored
- original identity card of the sponsored
- if the sponsored ones are out of the UAE, the sponsor may present the original passport or a computerised extract of their residence visas. (Kindly contact Naturalisation and Residency Dept to get a computerised extract of the residence visa.)
Duration and fees
Usually the cancellation process can be finalised in one day or less, if all required conditions met.
Refer to visa application fees list (in Arabic).
Upon cancelling your residence visa, your emirates identity card will also be cancelled and seized.
After your residence visa is cancelled, you have 30 days’ grace period to either leave the country or get another residence visa. Fines do not apply during the grace period.
For any information about cancelling your residence visa in the UAE, please contact Ministry of Interior via the toll-free number 8005000 or the GDRFA in the respective emirate.
Updated on 12 Sep 2018