Ministry of Climate Change and Environment has a GeoEnvAE mobile application which provides spatial information relating to the UAE’s environment, its biodiversity, protected areas and even information about agricultural statistics. The GeoEnvAE app is available on iTunes and Google Play.
Transportation and route planning
In Abu Dhabi, the Darb website, uses the Geographical Information System (GIS) and helps users to access fast, up-to-date and reliable information on driving directions, car travel maps, bus travel maps (bus routes and bus stops), bus terminals, points of interest (ATMs, petrol stations, hospitals etc.), ferry routes and timings. Darb also provides information on all airports in the UAE, with particular emphasis on details about the airports in the emirate of Abu Dhabi and related facilities such as passenger terminals and parking locations. The Darb application is available on Google Play and App Store.
Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) launched Smart Drive, an on-board route planning and exploration app, which operates without mobile Internet connection. RTA Smart Drive App provides turn-by-turn voice and visual instruction, automatic re-routing and speed limit alerts while displaying points of interest along the drive. Smart Drive is available on Google Play and App Store.
Seniar is the first unified navigation app across the UAE. Residents and tourists can search destinations and various attractions by Makani number, Onwani number, postal code or the name of the destination. The app provides motorists with easy-to-follow, accurate directions to their destinations, cutting down travel time and distance. You can download the app from iTunes and Google Play.
In April 2015, Dubai Government launched the Makani (my location) system. Makani is Dubai's smart addressing system. Under this system, each building would be assigned a unique 10-digit number that can be used to search the location through Google and HERE maps. In addition, in 2016, Dubai Government divided the emirate into 14 districts. Each district was given a name for identification.
Data on geospatial data or Geographic Information System (GIS)
Bayanat, the national data portal publishes data sets on geospatial data or Geographic Information System (GIS). On the page about geo data on Bayanat, you will find datasets on:
- Ajman Geo Map
- Humanitarian aids
- Schools Map
- Dams and Water Structures
- Energy and Water statistical data
- Abu Dhabi GeoSpatial Portal.
In addition, you can request Ministry of Infrastructure Development for spatial and descriptive data for developing regions, services, federal buildings, road network, agriculture and housing from the private data of the Northern Emirates.
Spatial Data Infrastructure Program
The Government of Abu Dhabi has launched a Spatial Data Infrastructure Program which aims to facilitate the sharing of geospatial data among government agencies and other stakeholders, and working on raising the GeoMaturity of the emirate of Abu Dhabi. The strategic goals of the program are to develop:
- GeoSmart services – this will help Abu Dhabi government entities to transform their government services into GeoSmart services
- GeoMature Abu Dhabi – this will help the emirate to progress towards GeoMature and catalyse the process to the next Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) generation (SDI 3.0)
- Geo innovation – this will help the emirate to promote Geo-Innovation and exploit Public Private Partnership (PPP)
- Effective SDI Node – this will help the emirate to improve effectiveness of Abu Dhabi’s SDI Central Node
- Proper Spatial Data - this will help the emirate to regulate and facilitate the availability of high-quality geospatial data
- Strong Community - this will help the emirate to strengthen SDI Community’s development, engagement and organisation
- Clear Governance - this will help the emirate to enhance the Abu Dhabi-SDI Institutional Framework
- Enhance Outreach - this will help the emirate to enhance the outreach and communication tools to promote Abu Dhabi SDI’s community efforts.
View Abu Dhabi Spatial Data Infrastructure Featured Content.
Sign in to explore the Abu Dhabi Geospatial Map and other maps from Abu Dhabi Spatial Data Infrastructure and enrich them with your own data to create new maps and map layers.
Updated on 19 Jul 2019