Smart Dubai Strategic Plan aims to transform Dubai into a Smart City. Under the plan, 1000 government services will go smart by the year 2017. This will be done by launching 100 initiatives under the six key pillars: transport, communications, infrastructure, electricity, economic services and urban planning.
Some of the measures that are part of the plan are:
- Free Wi-Fi in public areas
- A 5-D control room which will be used to oversee the government projects and service indicators, roads, weather conditions and emergencies etc.
- A smart parking system that would tell drivers if there were parking spaces available
- Live traffic monitoring so that people can plan their journey before they even leave their homes
- Smart meters will help customers to monitor their power and water use in real time
- A smart power grid for households to generate and sell solar energy
- 'My Window to Dubai' programme which will facilitate information sharing of data about government entities, schools, hospitals, roads and transport, sensor systems, buildings, energy and others
- Smart parks and beaches projects will provide specific information on weather conditions, sea, temperatures and safety guidelines.
Updated on 24 Feb 2019